[opensuse] Firefox and pdfs in openSUSE 11.0
  • From: Don Raboud <don.raboud@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:47:12 -0600
Hi everyone,

For some reason, firefox (version 3.0.1) will not open pdf files, either
embedded or with an external application. The behaviour is that if I click a
link to a pdf file, I am presented with a dialog box that states

"You have chosen to open <filename> which is a: PDF document"

and then the options are to cancel or save the file. No chance to just open
the file. This is a real annoyance. The pdf files themselves are OK, it all
works in opera. (It doesn't work right now in konqueror, but I believe that
is a different issue).

In Firefox, typing "about:plugins" shows that Adobe Reader 8.0 is enabled.
Under Edit->Preferences->Applications, PDF document is listed as a content
type and a number of options are listed, including opening with Abode Reader,
but no matter which option I pick the behaviour described above occurs.
I've tried renaming the .mozilla folder in my home directory, but that didn't
fix it.

I've not had this problem before in any previous openSUSE release, but now I
see it in all three 11.0 installations that I have, including two completely
new installations. I've searched in google, but it doesn't appear that many
people are having this problem. I'm not sure what is special about me :-(

I'm at a bit of a loss what is going on here. I know that there are pdf
related extensions for firefox, but I have not required these before.
I'd prefer not to have to try these, but I'm not sure what else to look for.
(I guess a nice KPDF plugin would be ideal, but I don't think that exists.)

Any ideas?

--
Don