RE: [opensuse] cloned drive -- /dev/disk error (suse 10.3)
  • From: "James D. Parra" <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:27:26 -0700

> You need to boot into rescue mode and modify /boot/grub/menu.lst
> and /etc/fstab and correct the settings there. You can find the correct
> id by: ls /dev/disk/by-id. That will show you the ones it knows about
> and you can hopefully tell which one is current. I'm guessing it tells
> you in dmesg too.
>
> HTH,
> James

Alternatively, if you have a set of machines you routinely keep in
sync via cloning a master image, then on the master you can modify
grub's menu.lst file to reference the old /dev/sdX style paths. Then
the clones should work fine.

ie. We have 5 travel PCs that have identical hardware. When a major
upgrade comes, we upgrade the master and test it out. Modify
menu.lst, then clone the rest of the PCs from the master.

James,

I assume you can modify menu.lst via yast, but I directly edit
/boot/grub/menu.lst

On my workstation with a default menu.lst file I have:

root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3250310AS_9RY00PYW-part5

in the middle of my kernel boot line.

In my case that would simply need to be "root=/dev/sda5" instead. Not
the part5 and the sda5 are in sync. You need to do that as well.

Thanks Greg. I think what is happening is the cloning software is not
recognizing nor cloning the /dev/sda3 XFS partition from the source to the
target.

I have five identical machines and I only want to install on one and clone
the install to the rest of the machines. Any recommendations on the most
efficient way to accomplish this?

Thanks again,

~James