Re: [opensuse] vmware server on openSuSE11, two problems..
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 15:05:41 -0500
On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi list,
- oh dear...

On my rather plain vanilla openSuSE11 (on a dual xeon 32bit/4G RAM) I try to
install vmware server 1.0.7. Done that MANY times before - but then I ran
into this when I invoke vmware-config.pl....:

---first problem-----
Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.3.1", while you are trying to
use "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.3". This configuration is not recommended and
VMware Server may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly same
compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go with
compiler "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.3" anyway?
--- end of first problem ---

This is known problem with the script itself. Just hit yes - it works.

I know what it means, but wait.. I thought I was under a plain vanilla SuSE.
Obviously not. How to I remedy this situation?

--- second problem ---
The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.25.11-0.1-pae) does not match
your running kernel (version 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae). Even if the module were to
compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.
---end of second problem ---

No so it doesn't seem. But wait, I didn't touch the bl.... kernel. And I DID
update (or so I thought) the kernel source and headers and all. It seems
not, though...

Any hints?
As always, - thanks a million!

check the versions of the headers and the kernel-sources packages. If
they match, then you need to perform make cloneconfig && make
modules_prepare in /usr/src/linux

Cheers

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.