[opensuse] Scope of logins via Windows Active Directory account
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:23:35 +0200
Is there any documentation (openSUSE 11.0) on the scope of where you can
do logins authenticated with a Windows Active Directory server?

For example, you can login via KDE, but not via ssh or at the console.
Unless I am typing something wrong. I thought the Windows authentication
was added to PAM, meaning that anything that uses PAM to authenticate a
user would work.

Also, which file system accesses can be authenticated this way? After
you log in, I guess (do not know) that file systems (CIFS/SMB) on other
machines that also authenticate in the same domain should be accessible.
Without a password prompt?

How about users not logged in that want to access a local CIFS/SMB
share? I would think that they would be prompted and authenticated
against the Windows AD.

All this is mainly conjecture on my part. So, any docs at all that
pertain to openSUSE11 would be greatly appreciated!

Now that I have the login working, I must do more!

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.