Re: [opensuse] Browsing Samba shares
  • From: Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 10:39:23 +0100
skx wrote:
I have been experiencing this problem since updating to openSUSE 11: I
cannot browse Samba shares in my network. I can mount them, when I know
the exact path and IP address but can't simply list them (in SMB4K for
example).

The problem is caused by the firewall and when it's turned off everything
works fine. Has anyone encountered a solution? Which holes should I punch
in my firewall?

If I remember correctly, for you to browse other shares/files, your
machine should be able to accept specific packets.
Try to place this on your SuSEfirewall2 file:

FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP="137:139"

FW_SERVICES_ACCEPT_EXT="0/0,udp,,137:139"

Then restart your SuSEfirewall2

I remember a few years back, SuSE used to have an option on the firewall to
allow a Samba Client. Now that that option is gone :( you have to configure the
firewall manually.

Hope it helps.

--
Rui Santos