Re: [opensuse] Can't boot 10.3 after 11.0 install -No ideas ? Please?
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 21:45:23 -0400
On Tuesday 02 September 2008 18:25:36 Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx> [09-02-08 17:46]:
During the boot up process it fails and dumps me into maintenance mode.
It says "FSCK failed for at least one filesystem. (not /)Then to do it
manually and reboot.

I shutdown and then did an fsck on the entire filesystem. (All three
drives) Didn't help. Now the funny thing is that 10.2 and the new 11.0
boot OK and every fstab is exactly the same.

you don't reall mean this? all three fstabs are the same? They
cannot be, addressing three different systems!

Hi Patrick, Thanks for replying.

Yes, I do. That way I could access any file on any system. Worked just fine on
10.2 and 10.3. If I can't cure it I will try modifying the fstab files.

They all mount the exact same partitions, yet 10.3 fails where the
other two do not.

Here are two other strange messages which might help in analyzing this
problem.

"Superblock last write time is in the future. FIXED"
What causes that?

probably the last system that wrote to the disk has a different clock
time than the system causing the error message

"BLOGD: no message logging because /var file system is not accessible"
Don't know if that could be the problem.

/var is out of space or otherwise fsck'ed

Help please! I've spent the last three days trying to fix this.
10.3 is my "work" system. I need it back. The install of 11.0 should
have been easy. It wasn't. Can't imagine what could have happened.

I would boot from a live disk and fsck the drive partition that
contains 10.3's /var

Already fsck'd it about 100 times :-) I'll see what is in it.

THEN remove some of the older log files and clean /var/tmp if you have
one.

Will try it. Thanks Patrick

Bob S