Re: [opensuse] Can't boot 10.3 after 11.0 install -No ideas ? Please?
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 08:25:21 +0930
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 07:55:36 Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx> [09-02-08 17:46]:
[...]

"BLOGD: no message logging because /var file system is not accessible"
Don't know if that could be the problem.

/var is out of space or otherwise fsck'ed

Help please! I've spent the last three days trying to fix this.
10.3 is my "work" system. I need it back. The install of 11.0 should
have been easy. It wasn't. Can't imagine what could have happened.

I would boot from a live disk and fsck the drive partition that
contains 10.3's /var

THEN remove some of the older log files and clean /var/tmp if you have
one.

Another possibility is that if you are trying to share /var between 11.1 and
10.3 that the owner and group id's don't match across the 2 systems. You need
to check /etc/passwd and /etc/group on each system to find out. A better idea
would be not to share any partitions other than (perhaps) /home; even if you
do share /home. make sure that you have separate user accounts between 10.3
and 11 to avoid problems with config files.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The trouble with a kitten is that
When it grows up, it's always a cat