Re: [opensuse] Can't boot 10.3 after 11.0 install -No ideas ? Please?
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 18:25:36 -0400
* Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx> [09-02-08 17:46]:

During the boot up process it fails and dumps me into maintenance mode. It
says "FSCK failed for at least one filesystem. (not /)Then to do it
manually and reboot.

I shutdown and then did an fsck on the entire filesystem. (All three
drives) Didn't help. Now the funny thing is that 10.2 and the new 11.0 boot
OK and every fstab is exactly the same.

you don't reall mean this? all three fstabs are the same? They
cannot be, addressing three different systems!

They all mount the exact same partitions, yet 10.3 fails where the
other two do not.

Here are two other strange messages which might help in analyzing this
problem.

"Superblock last write time is in the future. FIXED"
What causes that?

probably the last system that wrote to the disk has a different clock
time than the system causing the error message

"BLOGD: no message logging because /var file system is not accessible"
Don't know if that could be the problem.

/var is out of space or otherwise fsck'ed

Help please! I've spent the last three days trying to fix this.
10.3 is my "work" system. I need it back. The install of 11.0 should have
been easy. It wasn't. Can't imagine what could have happened.

I would boot from a live disk and fsck the drive partition that
contains 10.3's /var

THEN remove some of the older log files and clean /var/tmp if you have
one.