Re: [opensuse] strange samba rsync problem
  • From: Damon Register <damon.w.register@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 12:23:33 -0400
G T Smith wrote:
Odd, and worrying, I assume you have checked the consistency of the
result i.e whether this happens to the same file in the same place, is
I think it is quite repeatable. As far as I know, that one file was
the only one with non-ascii letters in the name. Just for fun I tried
making a test here at work where we have a solaris hosted samba server
and a drive mapped to it on our PCs. I created a plain text file with
an accented a in the name. I copied it to a folder on the mapped drive.
I logged into the Solaris system and did ls -l on that folder.
The accented a was mangled. Stranger yet, on that Solaris system I
ran the nautilus file manager where it showed the same file with
the correct accent on the a.

indicates a possible character translation issue, the second could be
I am fairly certain that is the case. I thought I remembered a recent
discussion about the character translation issue in this list but I
can't find that thread. Does anyone remember that thread? Does
anyone know how to get the remote rsyncd daemon to adjust the
character translation?

Damon Register