Re: [opensuse] strange samba rsync problem
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:34:19 +0100

Damon Register wrote:
G T Smith wrote:
Have you considered using rsyncd (the rsync daemon) on the host server?
This is largely FS independent, you do not need mount anything, and it
is not that hard to set up.
With all the trouble I was having, I decided to give rsyncd a try.
It turned out that it wasn't so hard to get running even on Solaris.
The only trouble I had there is that I forgot to add to /etc/services
but figured it out quickly. I had to update my rsnycd because I was
having trouble but after some work with different rsync options on
the client, I finally got it to work.

Now there seems to be only one flaw. After the rsync operation I ran
kdiff to see how the local compared with the remote samba mounted where
the rsyncd had stored it. All but one file were exactly the same but
that one file had an accented a that didn't get copied the same by
the remote rsyncd.

Damon Register

Odd, and worrying, I assume you have checked the consistency of the
result i.e whether this happens to the same file in the same place, is
detectable regularly and random locations, or is a one off. The first
indicates a possible character translation issue, the second could be
related to your initial problem and indicates data corruption of some
sort is occurring at unacceptable level and the cause may not be rsync
but hardware related (and is potentially serious), the third means
Murphy is on overtime.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup