Re: [opensuse] Data recovery?
  • From: "Anton Moiseev" <benderamp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 23:13:37 +0400
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am working on trying to recover some data from a hard drive (FAT32
formatted). The drive can be mounted OK (mounted in a USB external
drive housing), but the data is not accessible. When I do an ls -al,
I get this back:

So... something is seriously wrong... obviously... but the question
is... is there any hope? Does anyone know any method, or tools
(Linux, Windows, whatever) that can be used to recover at least some
of the data?

Hi,
First of all try to make full image of formatted drive, save to some
safe place and make
all experiments with a copy - you can check out the ddrescue utility
for that (http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/).

Then I can't give linux tools for that - I just had such problem few
years ago - I had to resurrect photos from photo memory
card - and did try some programs under windows.

There are 2 general types of tools for that - the 1st ones do scan
file system header table and try to search file names which
were marked as deleted, but still point to some address in the hard
drive - so they display the list of corrupted filenames and
you try to check them one by one and see if something is alive. If you
have written a number of small files to the corrupted
disk after that, the record in the file system table might be
overwritten by the new names, and though the file body would
still be present physically on the disk, this type of recovery tools
will not find it.

The 2nd type does not care about file table - it scans the whole disk
image and searches the files of the particular type
by their header. For example, you tell it to find all jpg images on
the disk - and it starts searching for them sector by sector
and puts everything it finds to some output folder. Executable
programs etc are not recovered by this method, but actually
I did not care about them

I did not have much success with the 1st type of tools, and the 2nd
tool saved me most of the lost photos
(I have seen only one tool of such class - "PC Inspector Smart
Recovery" - I have found it here
http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/smartrecovery.htm - it seems to
be free).

I can advise you to try them all - some program can recover the files
which would not be recovered by another
program and vice versa. And actually, I still keep the 1gb image of
the memory card - not all photos were recovered correctly
at that time and I hope to try some other tools once - would be
interesting to learn about linux tools for that.