Re: [opensuse] How to allocate more space to windows...
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:26:40 -0500
On Monday 01 September 2008 06:14:42 am mukul singh wrote:
mukul singh wrote:
Rajko M. wrote:
On Sunday 31 August 2008 11:14:19 pm Mukul Singh wrote:
Hi all,

I have a laptop which came with Windows Vista. I installed OpenSuse
10.3 on it. The total hard disk was 160 GB out of which opensuse is
using around 100 GB. Is it possible to allocate more space to Vista?

Regards

Yes.
The easiest is to resize Linux partition at the end of disk, and then
let Vista format and use created empty space.
More work is if you want to give Vista single bigger partition. It
includes backing up your data in Linux, delete all Linux partitions,
enlarge Vista partition and then install Linux in the rest of the space.

More details on Linux partitions, formatting and how much space you want
for Vista will help to give more specific advice.

Partition information is as follows:

cfdisk (util-linux-ng 2.13-rc2)

Disk Drive: /dev/sda
Size: 160041885696 bytes, 160.0 GB
Heads: 255 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 19457

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
Unusable 1.05*
sda1 Primary Unknown (27) 1572.87*
sda2 Boot Primary NTFS ] 73657.39*
sda5 NC Logical Linux swap 2152.15*
sda6 NC Logical Linux ext3 21476.21*
sda7 Logical Linux ext3 55495.97
Logical Free Space 3.18*
sda3 Primary Hidden HPFS/NTFS 5679.09*
Unusable 1.41*

Just for future reference:
Command
fdisk -l
gives all needed information in a format that has shorter lines and will not
wrap in email, like cfdisk output :-)

The more the better, but If I can get around 120 GB for Vista, that
would be ideal.
Also, as Vista came pre installed, I don't have a install CD for it.

To avoid potential boot problems as your dual boot depends on existence of
files in /boot directory in your openSUSE installation you can't simply erase
Linux partitions.

I would check, before any other action, can I restore Vista MBR, and if I can
than I would do it first. Look on Google for
restore vista mbr
http://members.rushmore.com/~jsky/id39.html

I can't help you to check is it possible to run:
Bootrec.exe /fixMBR
Bootrec.exe /fixBoot
from command prompt in running Vista, as I don't have Vista computer handy.
If it works, and if booting to Vista works fine, this time without GRUB boot
screen, look on Google for
how to partition disk in vista
It will give you many relevant hits, like this one:
http://lifehacker.com/software/vista/screenshot-tour--repartition-your-hard-drive-in-windows-vista-231613.php

Fix partitions as you like, leaving some free space for openSUSE.
Than install openSUSE again in the free space.

Note: I'm primarily Linux user and I would attempt to use openSUSE LiveCD and
YaST partitioner to erase Linux partitions, resize windows partition and than
install openSUSE again. I never enlarged Windows partition, so I don't know
would that work, but I know that all operations in YaST partitioner are not
committed before you explicitely confirm them in a popup window, so testing
would something work should be safe. This mean that erased partitions are not
really erased, nor resized are really resized before you explicitely confirm
that. This prevents that accidental click on Next erase your data.

Though, I know many ways to recover from disaster, so I feel free to play with
operations that I don't recommend to novice.

--
Regards, Rajko