Re: [opensuse] Re: Transparent content compression for space savings on linux like on NTFS?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:39:12 -0700

So, is there a special reason why you want these in individual
archives instead of simply in directories? Sounds to me like a
compressed filesystem is your better answer after all.

There are number of periodic tasks on my system (daily system security
checks, updatedb, backups every 6 hours, Google Desktop), that are
fairly sensitive to the number of files, so I try not to proliferate
things like this unnecessarily. Many of these files are small, so
putting them in an archive saves space (internal file system
fragmentation) independent of any compression in the archive file
format.

I often manually create similar archives when I want to send results to
a colleague, so this way I just have them all and they're the primary
repository, not something derivative.

I'm wary of the overhead of transparent automatic compression if the
granularity of control is coarse. (On windows, I'd do things like
selectively compress my archive mailbox files but not those that were
the "active" ones receiving new email from my many list subscriptions
on an ongoing basis.)

Another approach if you don't need immediate/convenient random access
to old files, even if you don't want to delete them, is just leave
the dirs on the regular filesystem and and have a find command that
turns old dirs into tar.bz2's instead of deleting them. Thats still a
simple command and is maybe a simpler system than having a seperate
cmpressed filesystem. Then you could use fuse or just traditional
unpacking or a front-end like kio to access the old ones since it
would be uncommon enough not to matter much, and the ones you access
more often are just plain files in plain dirs, no special access
hoops to jump though and full normal filesystem functionality a-la
the df hitch you discovered.

That, or something like it (moving stuff off the fast but smaller work
drive onto the bigger but slower archive drive, e.g.), may be necessary
eventually, because as it stands, stuff is just going to pile up with
this new pervasive recording scheme, though the script does have
options to suppress it when the user deems that appropriate.

--
Brian K. White

Randall Schulz