Re: [opensuse] Fwd: mozilla flashplayer plugin broken
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:05:33 +0200
32-bit, KDE 3.5. That is a very good idea, thanks.

I would hate to work in Novell's helpdesk after all this
hassle with 64-bit and KDE 4. I wonder how they are able
to sell this stuff to customers. ;)

It is worth saying that 64 bit does work, and works very well in most
cases.. but, when it comes to multimedia support, things get a bit
wobbly. Generally, the solution has been that the openSUSE installer
installs 32 bit Firefox and the 32 bit codecs and plugins. This means
there is a mishmash of 32 bit and 64 libs installed, among other
things. This works, and there are many here on the list that have
this working successfully.

KDE4... a hot topic. Like I said, I use it... and don't have issues I
cannot deal with, but I would not install it on a new user's computer.
It requires constant/daily updates to stay on top of the changes.
KDE3.5 will simply just work... even if it's never updated after the
initial install.

In my experience, particularly when you are setting up an openSUSE
install for a new/inexperienced user, things work better with either a
full 32 bit system or a full 64 bit system. Mixing architectures
seems to have issues. Issues that can be sorted by an experienced
user, but for a new user, it can be too much... thus a 32 bit install
with KDE3.5 can be a better choice (even on 64 bit hardware).

C.