Re: [opensuse] Fwd: mozilla flashplayer plugin broken
  • From: Sampsa Riikonen w <sampsa.riikonen@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:55:51 +0300
On Monday 01 September 2008 10:39:47 am you wrote:
Eh.. The flashplayer plugin for mozilla/firefox shouldn't have anything
to do with the kde version, I suppose. And It's strange no one has
commented of this problem before..

KDE4 is not something I would unleash on a new user. I use it
everyday (and prefer it over 3.5), but I am willing and able to work
around the daily changes and problems. A new user should be using
KDE3.5 or Gnome, NOT KDE4. The problems you are having with Flash
could very well be related to KDE4... there are things (that are
seemingly unrelated to KDE4) that break and break badly from one daily
build of KDE4 to the next... and there are things that are fixed. It
is a Window Manager that is still very much in a state of flux. It
will not be "ready" for a while.

Flashplayer plugin 9.0.124.0-10.1-i586 for suse 11.0, 64-bit does not
work!! (am I missing something here.. isn't that "i586" meaning it is
32-bit?).

Yes i586 means 32 bit.

Question... you are installing 64bit openSUSE? Why not run 32bit?
There are "less" issues with running a full 32bit install of openSUSE
on a 64bit machine, and the performance gain is minimal to zero for
the average user... such as your mother and her laptop.

60-years old mom's laptop with the latest suse 11.0 / kde4 is a mess.
- The mixture of kde3 programs with the kde4 system
(just an example: most programs pop-up kde3 kmail even you
have configured everything for kde4)
- the plugins (mplayer plugin, etc.) not able to handle .asx, etc.
"strange" multimedia formats. Right now even flash does not work! - etc.

Poor woman, have to reinstall her m$-windows. :(

Simply things.. start over a clean install of KDE3.5 with a 32bit
kernel. Then you will have no more problems related to running a
mixed 32/64 bit environment (happens with 64 bit, especially when you
start adding multimedia support)... and KDE 3.5 works and works well -
especially for new users.

32-bit, KDE 3.5. That is a very good idea, thanks.

I would hate to work in Novell's helpdesk after all this
hassle with 64-bit and KDE 4. I wonder how they are able
to sell this stuff to customers. ;)

Just for the record: the flashplayer works well for the _first_ flash
animation I am viewing in a firefox session. For the next animation
I am trying to click, the flashplayer stops working. Weird.

And in Adobe's pages there is available a version that says "x86_64"..?
The OSS repository, it seems, uses the 32-bit version with nspluginwrapper.

Cheers,

Sampsa

C.