[opensuse] strange samba rsync problem
  • From: Damon Register <damonregister@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:45:03 -0400
I am having a lot of trouble trying to get a SuSE pc to connect to my
samba server in such a way that rsync works. Here is the setup. I have
a Samba server running on Solaris 10. It has been running for 2 years
and the Windows pc connects just fine and I have even used cygwin
rsync in the past to backup up to that mapped drive

Now I am trying to do something similar with the SuSE pc. On the SuSE
pc I can mount the cifs share and can read and write files on that mounted
share. This is what I used to mount

mount -t cifs -o
uid=rosa,gid=users,nounix,iocharset=iso8859-15,credentials=/etc/zdrive
//192.168.15.100/data /windows/data

The strange problem I have is with rsync on SuSE. I try to backup a small
folder in the /home/rosa directory to a place on the server

rsync -avz --delete /home/rosa/and2/ /windows/data/rosatest

It runs, the files are copied and a diff shows they are the same.
Now I run the rsync again and since nothing is changed, it should
not have to copy any files again but it copies the entire source all
over again as if they all changed. If I change the destination to some
place on the local hard drive, then it behaves just as I expect. Files
are copied the first time but not again because they are now the same.
Got any idea why this is happening?

Damon Register