Re: Cisco VPN Client (WAS: Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse )
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:45:02 -0400
Kai Ponte wrote:
On Monday 09 June 2008 09:39:22 am John E. Perry wrote:

Ok. Personally, I've never had to compile anything (that's one of the
reasons I use suse -- almost everything imaginable is available
already). Now, I'd like to use the Cisco vpn client to work from home
on my employer's systems. Cisco has a linux version, which I have to
compile.

Unfortunately, making an RPM for that is useless. For some stupid reason, the
VPN client is tied into the kernel version. So, every time the kernel is
updated the VPN client is borked and you have to reinstall.

Here are some instructions I wrote on using the VPN client in *nix.

http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/95

Well, your compile went smoothly. I got the error "missing autoconf",
with suggestions on how to generate the autoconf information. This
seemed to work, but when I compiled again, I got a new set of errors,
which I'm now trying to understand.

...Well, actually, I'll have to compile again, since I got interrupted
and the messages disappeared from the terminal window before I got back
to the machine.

I've developed sofware under other unixes for many years, but never as a
systems programmer. Doing system-level software is a different world!
And I suppose linux is even more different?

The version I have is apparently adapted for my employer's environment,

The version is probably not specific, but may have your employers PCF file.

Yes, that looks right -- the source in the directory doesn't mention
larc at all, but there are several .pcf's. There were also some
executable binaries (cisco_cert_mgr, cvpnd, ipseclog, and vpnclient). I
tried just jumping into vpnclient :-), but got no reaction. It just
returned immediately to the command line. No messages of any sort. So
I went into the compile process.

Again, I'm doubtful that checkinstall would work, since you use the Cisco
installer.

I had gained that impression from subsequent messages in the thread.
Thanks to all.

John Perry