Re: [opensuse] Re: Packaging tutorial
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:32:29 +0100

Philipp Thomas wrote:
* Damon Register (damon.w.register@xxxxxxxx) [20080609 14:32]:

<snip>

I don't have any preference but perhaps a perl one could be
included.

I guess I'll start with CPAN module.

Philipp

I have not been checking the messages from this list for the last couple
of days so response is a little late.

CPAN and the cpan installation script are a very well organized
distribution mechanism which includes a local database tracking locally
installed modules.

Both the cpan script and the modules change quite frequently and to
generate static RPMs may not be the best way forward and does sail
rather close to reinventing the wheel. What might be more appropriate
would be to create a YaST front end to the CPAN local database and cpan
script.

One of the issues with at least compiled Perl modules is that often
there is no immediately obvious indication of what development headers
are required for the successful installation of the module. If the SuSE
RPM based database and the CPAN requirements can be integrated in some
way one may save a lot of people a lot of work. (and in giving the user
community access to a large range of tools with relatively little effort).

Just a thought (BTW a similar approach may be appropriate for PEAR)...

In addition to what has been suggested. What would also be handy is some
method of generating RPMs for some of the more useful eclipse plugins
(EPIC for Perl, the PHP support and QT for Java and C/C++ ). For reasons
that elude me the Eclipse plugin writers have a rather incoherent
approach to installing an eclipse plugin (despite the fact they all end
up in the same place).

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup