Re: Cisco VPN Client (WAS: Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse )
  • From: Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:54:22 -0700
Matthias Bach wrote:
Hi!

Am Montag 09 Juni 2008 schrieb Kai Ponte:
On Monday 09 June 2008 09:39:22 am John E. Perry wrote:
Ok. Personally, I've never had to compile anything (that's one of the
reasons I use suse -- almost everything imaginable is available
already). Now, I'd like to use the Cisco vpn client to work from home
on my employer's systems. Cisco has a linux version, which I have to
compile.
Unfortunately, making an RPM for that is useless. For some stupid reason,
the VPN client is tied into the kernel version. So, every time the kernel
is updated the VPN client is borked and you have to reinstall.

BTW: Another option would be to use vpnc, which is nicely integrated into the Network Manager and also has the standalone GUI kvpnc. For me this works nicely to connect to the university Cisco VPN.

Nicely integrated though it may be, I've never had any success with kvpnc and a cisco vpn connection, and I've noticed similar reports from others on this list, but no fix. So, I have been using the cisco vpn client from the command line, and it works well.

Invariably, if I get the urge to use kvpnc to connect to the cisco vpn, I attempt to initiate the vpn connection, then network manager dies, disappears from the panel, and can't be restarted. Networking is hosed from then on. end of story.

Joe