Re: Cisco VPN Client (WAS: Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse )
  • From: Matthias Bach <marix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 22:40:47 +0200
Hi!

Am Montag 09 Juni 2008 schrieb Kai Ponte:
On Monday 09 June 2008 09:39:22 am John E. Perry wrote:
Ok. Personally, I've never had to compile anything (that's one of the
reasons I use suse -- almost everything imaginable is available
already). Now, I'd like to use the Cisco vpn client to work from home
on my employer's systems. Cisco has a linux version, which I have to
compile.

Unfortunately, making an RPM for that is useless. For some stupid reason,
the VPN client is tied into the kernel version. So, every time the kernel
is updated the VPN client is borked and you have to reinstall.

BTW: Another option would be to use vpnc, which is nicely integrated into the
Network Manager and also has the standalone GUI kvpnc. For me this works
nicely to connect to the university Cisco VPN.

Regards,
Matthias
--
Matthias Bach
www.marix.org

„Der einzige Weg, die Grenzen des Möglichen zu finden, ist ein klein wenig
über diese hinaus in das Unmögliche vorzustoßen.“ - Arthur C. Clarke