Re: Cisco VPN Client (WAS: Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse )
  • From: Matthias Bach <marix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 21:31:06 +0200
Hi!

Am Montag 09 Juni 2008 schrieb Kai Ponte:
On Monday 09 June 2008 09:39:22 am John E. Perry wrote:
Ok. Personally, I've never had to compile anything (that's one of the
reasons I use suse -- almost everything imaginable is available
already). Now, I'd like to use the Cisco vpn client to work from home
on my employer's systems. Cisco has a linux version, which I have to
compile.

Unfortunately, making an RPM for that is useless. For some stupid reason,
the VPN client is tied into the kernel version. So, every time the kernel
is updated the VPN client is borked and you have to reinstall.

Wouldn't the buildservice solve that problem, as it should rebuild the RPM
anytime the kernel gets an update? That way you should get the Cisco Client
Update along with the kernel, just as it works with the NVidia Graphics
driver AFAIK.

I could however imagine that the Cisco License prevents such a republishing of
the client.

Regards,
Matthias
--
Matthias Bach
www.marix.org

„Der einzige Weg, die Grenzen des Möglichen zu finden, ist ein klein wenig
über diese hinaus in das Unmögliche vorzustoßen.“ - Arthur C. Clarke
< Previous Next >