Re: [opensuse] wireless doesn't work in suse 11 RC1
  • From: Joe Zien <jozien@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 22:33:55 -0400
Larry Stotler wrote:
On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Joe Zien <jozien@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I did lsmod and got all three:
ath5k
mac80211
cfg80211
Pardon my ignorance but does this mean all three are compiled in the kernel?

Since some people feel the need to get ignorant to the newbie and I
don't, here's the explanation:

Those 3 are loadable kernel modules. They CAN be compiled into the
kernel, but generally when you get a distribution built kernel they
are not. They are loaded on need and unloaded when they are not
needed. In my case, since my wireless is a cardbus card, when I
remove the card, the modules are unloaded.

Now, since you have all 3 modules actually loaded, the next step is to
see whether is is actually being used. Type :

ifconfig
# ifconfig
eth0 (my ethernet works)
lo loopback

This should show you a listing for wlan0. This will be your wireless
card. Then type:

iwconfig
# iwconfig
lo no wireless
eth0 no wireless
irda0 no wireless
suse is not recognizing my card
This will show you information about the wireless connection.
eard
Now, if you are in KDE(I'm not sure about gnome, but it should be
similar), look at the Netwrok Manager icons. One of them should be an
antenna. Right click that and then highlight "connect to other
network" and select "new wireless
connection". This will bring up a small windows with available
networks. If you have a network listed, click on it and then click
"connect and save"

It will should a different icon that will try to connect to the
network and get an ip addrees. If it succeeds, then you will get a
status icon showing connection bars and strength.

Good luck.

I tried everything as above and still doesn't see my card.
I will have to go on the ThinkPad site and see if any one with a T60
has installed suse 11 RC1 successfully.

Thank for all the help.

jozien