Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse [Was: Compiling the Suse way]
  • From: Damon Register <damonregister@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 07:09:37 -0400
I was just reading again the messages in this thread and realized that
I missed something when I wrote my last post on this.

Philipp Thomas wrote:
For these there isn't one, but that's a case why you should be using the
build script, i.e. build in a chroot environment.
you are referring to the scipt and procedure described in
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Build_Tutorial and
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/11793.html ?

The chroot'ed build root is rather easy when you use our build script :)
Take a random source package, put the packages you need for the real
package in its BuildRequires and stop the script after it has set up the
chroot environment: et voila, you have what you need.
sounds easy enough but is that another case of being easy only if you're
Philipp Thomas? :-)

I do see the problems (to a degree) but I tend to not see them as being
so severe.
So if you feel that it isn't so hard and that this is the way to go, are
you willing to help the rest of us "see the light"? Can you teach an
online class here is this list where you walk us through some real world
example using the build procedure?

Damon Register