Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse [Was: Compiling the Suse way]
  • From: Damon Register <damonregister@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 08:40:08 -0400
Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 10:37:20 +0200, Joachim Schrod wrote:
And setting a (probably even chroot'ed) build root up is a task for an experienced programmer and not for someone who just wants a local RPM package quickly done

The chroot'ed build root is rather easy when you use our build script :)
This seems a lot like a discussion I am having in the gtkmm list and
a lot like discussions I have had at work. Though I have been working
with Linux for almost 10 years, I consider myself a novice comapared to
users like you. Some things might be easy for you but not so obvious
for the average user.

Take a random source package, put the packages you need for the real
package in its BuildRequires and stop the script after it has set up the
chroot environment: et voila, you have what you need.
That might be easy for you to say but you could have written that in
German and I would have been equally confused.

I tend to believe that most of our user base does not compile their own
packages.
I have to disagree. While I certainly can't speak for other users, I
suspect that if a peasant user like me does it from time to time, probably
others do too.

But I see the problem that Carlos and others are facing, while you don't
seem to see them.
If this is a problem for Carlos, I am doomed. I view Carlos as an expert
and if he is having trouble, it would be worse for me.

I do see the problems (to a degree) but I tend to not see them as being
so severe.
I would like to ask (respectfully I hope) that you please try to view
from the eyes of others for whom it isn't so easy.

Damon Register