Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse [Was: Compiling the Suse way]
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 13:39:39 +0200
The chroot'ed build root is rather easy when you use our build script :)
Take a random source package, put the packages you need for the real
package in its BuildRequires and stop the script after it has set up the
chroot environment: et voila, you have what you need.

This discussion is starting to sound like one side is Steve:
http://www.ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=54 and the other is normal
people.

I tend to believe that most of our user base does not compile their own
packages.

Based on what information? I tend to believe that a a significant
portion of the user base does compile their own packages. There, my
statement has just as much merit as yours. Neither has any proof and
both are equally likely to be wrong.

I use checkinstall in almost every openSUSE install I do. There are
custom bits here and there I want to use, that I compile locally, and
I want installed as RPMs. I don't have the time or interest to use
the build service nor to chroot a local build environment. I'm not a
Steve... well... not as much of a Steve as those here who are saying
"it's just so easy" (to paraphrase)

I do see the problems (to a degree) but I tend to not see them as being
so severe.

Why is that? Maybe because you are used to and familiar with the more
complex methods of building an RPM? Something your average user is
not knowledgeable enough to deal with... checkinstall is already at
the limits... No one is saying that a chrooted environ is a bad way to
do it.. we all likely recognize that it is a more "proper" way of
building RPMs, but... but.. and here's the clincher... we're not
building for redistribution.... we are building only for local needs.
I do not want to futz around with a chrooted build environment... I
want to do config, make, checkistall, rpm -ivh package.rpm and get on
with life. The prime reason I use checkinstall and then install the
rpm (instead of make install)... ease of maintenance. If I decide I
want to remove the app, it's so much easier to do an rpm -e package
than to hope I kept the source around, and that a make uninstall will
work.

C.