Re: [opensuse] Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse [Was: Compiling the Suse way]
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 09:12:03 +0100

Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:31:46 +0200 (CEST), Carlos E. R. wrote:

But then there is a large list listing every single file and directory that
the rpm has to have.

You don't necessarily need such a large list. If you write your own spec
file and use a build root (as nearly all packages do), you install into
newly created directories and can thus use wildcards such as
/usr/bin/* or /usr/share/man/man1/*.gz.

Checkinstall can't do that as it installs into the live system.

<snip>

Commands I can type, I'm not afraid of typing. But this is a job for a
developer, not a user.

I tend to differ! Either I know enough of building programs and can deal
with the problems that might crop up or I search for prebuilt packages
and don't compile at all.

<snip>

Philipp

I think you are missing the point somewhat.

What I have used checkinstall for is those scenarios when I have source
bundles which are not RPM'd and I would rather like the application to
be available to the package management tools on SuSE. I would not use it
to create an RPM for third party use (though it might be handy for
creating an initial template). I would also prefer not to have to go
through the process of hand building a RPM for this purpose.

While core RPMs are pretty much up to date, many of those for less well
known or non-mainstream applications are not. (The Perl module RPMs are
a serious case in point and I now maintain these from CPAN not the SuSE
RPMs, others may have similar issue with other things).

BTW I am not asking or expecting SuSE to spend time and resources
providing some of this but merely to recognise that things like
checkinstall help people put together systems the way that they want
them, in a way which works with the system tools that they have as part
of the distro.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup