Re: [opensuse] Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse [Was: Compiling the Suse way]
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:47:14 +0200
Not for you programmers, but it is for us plain users.

O come on! It's mostly the same commands you issue on the command line
plus a few lines in the header and you have tons of examples plus the
documentation in the opensuse wiki.

According to this:
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Build_Tutorial#Step_Five_-_Create_the_spec_file
the spec file is " a complex topic" that refers me to here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/SUSE_Package_Conventions I started
reading this... but I am not wanting to build a package to put back
into the repos.. I just want a locally installable RPM that I build
quickly and easily myself. So far this spec file does not seem to be
easy to the uninitiated. i am not saying I could not learn it... but
how does this equate to "mostly the same", and the implication that
this is an easy process for someone who wants a local RPM?

I also looked here: http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging and didn't find
anything that looked as simple and easy as checkinstall is.

I am not saying that building a spec file is impossible, but it is
_definitely_ not as clean and simple as checkinstall to those who have
never had to build a "proper" RPM... to those of us who just want a
quick and simple way to make an RPM for our own use.

Removing checkinstall may have made sense given the reasons.... but it
does leave a huge gap between those on the inside who are familiar
with the RPM build process and those lurking on the fringes. If it is
removed, fine, but there really needs to be a replacement... either
CLEAR non-developer documentation explaining the exact steps with no
fluff or long winded explanations.. or a full app/script replacement.

C.