Re: [opensuse] Compiling the Suse way
  • From: Jim Flanagan <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:03:28 -0500
Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:02:09 -0500, Jim Flanagan wrote:

This method uses configure > make > checkinstall (instead of make install).

Checkinstall has been dropped from openSUSE because it doesn't work
anymore. Checkinstall's trick is to load a library via LD_PRELOAD that
redirects all functions dealing with files. Now for installing a package
you need to be root and for programs running with root privileges the
dynamic loader ignores LD_PRELOAD as this would otherwise be a huge
security problem.

So checkinstall has become useless and was therefore dropped.

Philipp
Oops, I didn't know that. I guess its been a while since I've needed to build an RPM. So how does one go about making a home rolled RPM for opensuse these days??

Jim F