Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (3065 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse] solved (+ OT rant): cannot connect to WLAN
  • From: John <john_82@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 12:12:08 +0100
  • Message-id: <200806051212.08606.john_82@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Thursday 05 June 2008 11:15:02 Evens Garde wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

The Tuesday 2008-06-03 at 22:47 -0400, Evens Garde wrote:
And guess what: the supporter asked me to open Internet-Exploder,
connect
via cable to the modem-router and tell him what was written on the
screen.... That was all! Just open a browser! I could have done that
with
any operating system. But Telefonica insists that the Browser must be
opened with Windows! ¡increíble!

I guess M$ pays quite a sum to Telefonica for this unbelievable
"information"...
[/rant]

Did you tell the "support" person that he or she is a
complete idiot? I would have.

Would that have helped solve his problem?

Yes, of course.

His step to solving his problem of being an
idiot is understanding that he is one.

I had this problem with ticali in the uk. Their support is totally windoze
application orientated. I had appalling net speeds. I didn't get anywhere
with them but eventually sent them a line speed test result and they passed
me onto some "engineers". Had to pay £0.50 per min to talk to one. Told him
what I was running and he said that they didn't know if their system would
work with it. I explained that internet protocols are standardised and well
documented etc. He found that acceptable and reported that my line was
congested and I was re hooked up at the exchange. You could try that approach
if the same sort of service is provided what ever your problem is.

:) Things did improve but were still slow. Turned out to be an ipv6 problem.
Things improved dramatically after disabling that everywhere but dns still
seems slow. Seems that some enterprising trackers some where had found a way
of fooling the auto dns server detection in my router. That cured that
problem until some time later I found that the server I entered had been
changed - not by me. New router needed. Recently I found that I get server
not found errors that go away if I hit refresh. Oh no I thought but that's
been fixed by a router firmware upgrade.

John

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >