Re: Third party and non-GPL drivers was Re: [opensuse] wireless doesn't work in suse 11 RC1
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 21:47:56 +0100

John Andersen wrote:
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 1:07 AM, G T Smith
<grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John Andersen wrote:
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:31 AM, G T Smith
<grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ubuntu may be bending the rules, but there is little mileage in anyone
taking them on as there is not a lot to be gained (not a lot in bank),
That's a pretty serious allegation you've made there.
Do you have anything to back it up?

What allegation!?

The allegation you made when you said they may be "Bending the rules".

Since *when* has *may* become *are*, (crucial semantics here). Nominally
*may* is speculative, *are* is definitive.... and *bending* is not
*breaking* which leaves two very different semantic contexts... You are
reading more into this than is strictly plausible... but this possibly
is a transatlantic difference in language usaqe...

There is simply no case there. Connonical is not violating any
copyrights.

I did not say they were (and I assume you mean Canonical and the con bit
is not a Freudian slip :-) )...

And their method of getting these drivers to the end user does not
bring the GPL to bear on the driver software.

Face it, its a perfectly legal and beautiful solution to a big problem
with Linux,
and one that OpenSuse/Novel could emulate/copy/adopt. But Novel has
NIH syndrome here.

The international situation with patent and copyright law is not exactly
completely consistent so I would hesitate to be that sweeping about the
solutions legitimacy on an international basis. So far some EU states
have resisted software patents for example, and there are also some
differences in copyright provisions. I do not profess to being an expert
in this area, but I know enough to know that I really would prefer to
avoid that particular quagmire.

This also comes with an implicit support overhead.. an issue here is
that if you provide access to something the more naive user will expect
the provider of access to support it if anything goes wrong, and get
very unhappy when they find that the support does not exist...

<snip>

Not same result. How can you possible claim this given the number of
thread about Nvidia and ATI drivers on these lists over the last 2 years?

I think from all I have seen this is not just a SuSE problem, but
effects a number of other distros (and occasionally M$), the finger
should be firmly pointed at Nvidia and ATI to get their act together...

What about the flood of "wireless doesn't work" posts ever single week?

Wireless seems to be a bit of PITA whatever platform you work with. I
have had over time as much grief with M$ as Linux....

OpenSuse mentions other repositories on their web page (bracketed with
suitably scary language) but really offers NO HELP and NO TOOL to install
these drivers.

The potential tool is YaST and it is really is up to some brave soul (or
masochist) to take on setting up a suitable repository and publish and
maintain the relevant installation RPMs.

<snip>

Try Ubuntu someday. Its an excellent novice Distro.
It caters to the new Linux user without throwing them
to the wolves, by pointing them to the
bewildering morass of the "build service".

If I get a spare box I may take a look, but I am not about to cripple my
development environment to do this.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup