Re: [opensuse] Getting SSH to Work
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:11:04 -0700
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Rick Bilonick <rab@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 11:06 -0700, John Andersen wrote:
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Rick Bilonick <rab@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm running SLED 10.1. sshd is running (I can ssh to localhost) and I've
opened port 22 for ssh in the firewall. I can access web pages (which
means I have access to the Internet) but I cannot access two other
computers (even using their IP's). (I can access these computers from
another laptop running Fedora 8 through the same wireless router.)

How can I determine what is going wrong? I've tried disabling the
firewall completely (although it always seems to come on by itself) to
see if it was blocking ssh. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick B.

--

First you never need to open a port for an outward connection.
The firewall is not the issue here.

Check your /etc/ssh_config
It should have the following lines uncommented
ForwardX11 yes
ForwardX11Trusted yes
----The above two are optional but if you trust the remote host its ok
Protocol 2

Nothing else should be uncommented except some possible
options that begine with SendEnv

I become root and go to /etc. I do an ls and see ssh_config and it has a
non-zero size. It's also shown as rw. But I cannot cat it nor can I open
it with a text editor. There is also an sshd_config file that I can't
open or look at. Other files (key) are the same. When I try to access
these files it says they don't exist.

Rick B.

/etc/ssh/ssh_config must be readable by all users, writeable only by root.

sshd_config is only read/wirteable by root.

If you are indeed root and you STILL can not cat those files then
you have something seriously hozed and I would start diagnosing
that problem rather than worrying about ssh.