Re: [opensuse] Getting SSH to Work
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:06:33 -0700
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Rick Bilonick <rab@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm running SLED 10.1. sshd is running (I can ssh to localhost) and I've
opened port 22 for ssh in the firewall. I can access web pages (which
means I have access to the Internet) but I cannot access two other
computers (even using their IP's). (I can access these computers from
another laptop running Fedora 8 through the same wireless router.)

How can I determine what is going wrong? I've tried disabling the
firewall completely (although it always seems to come on by itself) to
see if it was blocking ssh. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick B.

--

First you never need to open a port for an outward connection.
The firewall is not the issue here.

Check your /etc/ssh_config
It should have the following lines uncommented
ForwardX11 yes
ForwardX11Trusted yes
----The above two are optional but if you trust the remote host its ok
Protocol 2

Nothing else should be uncommented except some possible
options that begine with SendEnv