Re: [opensuse]
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:30:48 -0400
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 07:32:17 +0100
jpff <jpff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

no significative performance enhancement versus 32 bit system
(on 64 bits machines).

Not our experience. 64 bit computing wins significantly.

I've been using 64-bits for over 15 years (Tru64 Unix on the Alpha
chip). 64-bits does not guarantee a performance advantage. I have
found through benchmarking and other testing that in some cases 64-bits
will improve performance, and in other cases that 64-bits will hurt
performance. In my own company's product. We are very memory
intensive, but after porting it to 64-bits on an Itanium processor, we
still could not beat the 32-bit application on x86.

However, based on experience, Linux, built for x86-64 does perform
better. Certainly memory management is better, but also you are dealing
with double the registers.

Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846
PGP Key fingerprint: 3D1B 8377 A3C0 A5F2 ECBB CA3B 4607 4319 537C 5846
< Previous Next >