Re: [opensuse] wireless doesn't work in suse 11 RC1
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 11:31:04 +0100

John Andersen wrote:
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Benji Weber <benji@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2008/6/3 John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>:
This bugaboo of law suits is a lame excuse. If the lawyers that
veto all the drivers that suse leaves out or cripples spent half
that amount oif time on the phone negotiating redistribution
opensuse would be a complete distro out of the box/torrent.

<snip>

Once you figure it out, explain why opensuse couldn't do
the same thing instead of leaving it up to the end-user.

Hint: Offering a script to INSTALL proprietary drivers fetched
from a vendor's site is NOT a violation of the GPL.

I must be missing something here..

A script can get non-GPL components from third party sites, but in order
to get the third party components for networking one presumably have to
have the non-GPL components already in place (otherwise you have no
networking). er oops.. Chicken meet egg :-)

Ubuntu may be bending the rules, but there is little mileage in anyone
taking them on as there is not a lot to be gained (not a lot in bank),
OTOH Novell is a little richer therefore are much lucrative target for
nuisance suits. I do not blame them for being cautious...

I would of thought also the provision of an official script possibly
implies an obligation of support which opens a whole new can of worms...

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup