[opensuse] Ralink RT2561 and rt61 vs. rt2x00
  • From: Niki Kovacs <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:45:37 +0200
Hi,

I'm new to SUSE (though a long-time Linux user before, mostly
Slackware). I've recently installed OpenSUSE 10.3 (KDE), and I must say:
I really like it! Now for some minor troubles.

I have Ralink 2561 PCI wireless cards on a good dozen machines here (I'm
a sysadmin for public libraries). Until now these machines run either
Slackware or Arch Linux. (I eventually intend to replace these by
OpenSUSE). I'm using Ralink's rt61 drivers for these, some late CVS
version, which runs fine with SMP kernel. Early versions had a nasty
tendency to just freeze the machine.

I see OpenSUSE 10.3 only ships rt2x00, but I've experienced that driver
with mixed results. Now I'd rather use the rt61 driver.

Q1: what's the *orthodox* way to get that module on my system? Is there
a repo somewhere which contains rt61 RPMS? Is there such a thing as DKMS
for OpenSUSE? As last resort, I could always build from source, make an
RPMS with Checkinstall and install that, but I would have to redo this
on every kernel update.

Q2: how often do kernel updates happen here ( = on 10.3), approximately?

cheers,

Niki