[opensuse] would you recommend a BIOS update?
  • From: Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 00:05:59 +0200
Hello,

Yesterday my new HP Pavilion HP Pavilion dv9760ez Notebook did not want to
boot at all after a kind of freeze that happened when I disabled the
touchpad. The keyboard and the mouse were blocked. After pressing the on/off
switch openSuse 10.3 shut down but finally did not switch off the computer.

When switching the computer on again I could hear the disk and the fan but the
screen remained black, not even the BIOS/HP logo appeared.

After googling I read two things:
- taking out the battery and the power cable for a while, then restart again
(that worked)
- some forum threads said that's a BIOS issue, I should update the BIOS.

On the HP site I can see a newer BIOS version. But first I am a bit afraid
(will my openSuse 10.3 behave different when I update the BIOS? are there
any "dangers" that could ruin my install?) and second HP offers only an
exe-file for windows.

There still is a Vista home-something on this computer, so I could probably
run that exe-file*, but should I?

(Untill now the above happend only once. Since then the Computer always booted
normally. So I don't know if any action is necessary at all).

What would you recommend somebody who likes to stay on the safe side?

Let me know what you think, please.

thanks

Daniel

* Vista was on this computer when I bought it. I started it once but it was
looking so disgusting and displayed a page full of blinking ads, ebay stuff
etc., so that I just shut it down and never started it again. My last windows
experience was Win98, but I guess executing an exe-file should still work
with that OEM-Vista, no?
erotic art photos: http://www.bauer-nudes.com
Madagascar special: http://www.fotograf-basel.ch/madagascar/