Re: [opensuse] Re: opensuse
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:59:52 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2008-06-02 at 21:02 +0100, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

Well, I don't know about out of date. I've had so many problems with
Pine used with Debian, Ubuntu/Kubuntu and SuSE/OpenSuSE and
RedHat/Fedora over the years that I find that if I just stick with the
source it works for me. Yes, Alpine is much better and not broken.
But, at least I get the same result every time I install it.

Funny, I never had problems with suse's pine, and I have been using for years. They add some patches that others don't.

Previous attempts using a package for a certain distribution always
resulted in the mail folder not being found at /home/user/mail which
is where my mail folder is. Attempts to tell Pine where the mail
folder is always failed. Alpine has already done that to me once.

Perhaps:

.pinerc:

# Path of (local or remote) INBOX, e.g. ={mail.somewhere.edu}inbox
# Normal Unix default is the local INBOX (usually /usr/spool/mail/$USER).
inbox-path=

# Location relative to your HOME directory of the directory where your INBOX
# for the maildir format is located. Default value is "Maildir". If your
# inbox is located at "~/Maildir" you do not need to change this value.
# A common value is also ".maildir"
maildir-location=

But I don't remember how to choose the mail folder. I have /home/user/mbox and the /home/user/Mail directory. Alpine took what Pine used without problems.

What I usually do the first time is send myself an email using plain "mail", then read it using "mail". Then, I open Pine for the first time and it picks the same folder without problems.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.