Re: [opensuse] Keeping ZENworks off and Just Being Able to Install New Software
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 13:19:11 -0700
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Rick Bilonick <rab@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 12:54 -0700, John Andersen wrote:
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Rick Bilonick <rab@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Every time I open "installation source" synchronize with ZENWorks is
checked. Then when I try to "Add Product", it always times out because
it cannot connect with ZENWorks. I have no idea what ZENWorks is.

All I want to do is add some packages from an online repository for
openSUSE 10.1. I go into Add Product and I have to paste in the URL for
the 10.1 repository. What is the use of "installation source"? What is
the point of setting up repositories to use if yast NEVER uses them?

Why is updating SLED so difficult and confusing?

Because its based on the rather broken 10.1.

Several people here on this list have already advised you to
go to 10.3 (which is really a sweet release).

Why invest more time in this if its already troublesome before
you even get it fully installed? Cut your losses and go
to 10.3.

--

I was trying to use openSUSE 10.1 because SLED 10.1 is installed. Can I
use openSUSE 10.3 with SLED 10.1 or are you saying to dump SLED

I'm new to SUSE. If I'm going to dump SLED, it might just be easier for
me to install Fedora 9 (I'm a lot more familiar with Fedora).

If the wireless works in SLED it will run on 10.3. (It will most
likely work under
ndiswrapper in any case).

Open office will work very well.

10.3 is just all around a better release than 10.1. Lots of things are
fixed in 10.3. Sled is really intended to be a corporate desktop.
It was never intended for the enthusiast.

You can go back to Fedora if you wish, but you seem to want to
branch out and I certainly don't want to discourage you. I just think
you happened upon a particularly bad release in 10.1 and I know
that 10.3 is MUCH better in all regards.