[opensuse] Re: opensuse
  • From: Richard Ibbotson <richard.ibbotson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 21:02:12 +0100 (BST)
Hi

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, John Andersen wrote:
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Richard Ibbotson
<richard.ibbotson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alpine compiled from source. It's a long term habit I developed
through using the old broken version of Pine with SuSE software. I
prefer to compile from source anyway.

Unless you READ the source, checking it for bugs, what does
this buy you other than lots of headaches and disk thrashing?

No headaches. No disk thrashing. Works fine for me :)

It would be one thing if the SuSE rpms were hopelessly out of
date, but you didn't claim that.

Well, I don't know about out of date. I've had so many problems with
Pine used with Debian, Ubuntu/Kubuntu and SuSE/OpenSuSE and
RedHat/Fedora over the years that I find that if I just stick with the
source it works for me. Yes, Alpine is much better and not broken.
But, at least I get the same result every time I install it.

Previous attempts using a package for a certain distribution always
resulted in the mail folder not being found at /home/user/mail which
is where my mail folder is. Attempts to tell Pine where the mail
folder is always failed. Alpine has already done that to me once.

--
Richard