[opensuse] Re: OpenSuSE 10.3 AMD64 - X-windows and KDE 3.5 Falls over and Dies
  • From: Richard Ibbotson <richard.ibbotson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 22:41:32 +0100 (BST)

Apologies for missing out the subject line...

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, jdd sur free wrote:
Richard Ibbotson wrote:

through the world of 64-bit Linux software was going to be more hard

first, if you ever have to reinstall that 32 bits software runs very well on
64 bits hardware, so you are not at all obliged to use 64 bits distros, you
even shouldn't do. 64 bit distros are only worth if you have more than 4Gb ram
(much more)

Uhhmm... yeh.... tried that as well. Crashing kernels. Kernel panic.
Crashing KDE ... etc. Gigabyte AMD64 motherboard. Can't remember
which one. 2Gb of 667Mhz RAM.

you say kde don't start, so you should fall back in terminal only mode?

Yes. I would have said that as well. I'm using black screen and
command line with Alpine to write to you :)

in this mode you *can* use yast. You can also as a worst but fast solution
use
sax2-vesa

The error message says...

"/usr/sbin/sysp: error while loading shared libraries:
/usr/lib64/libusb-0.1.so.4: cannot read file data: Invalid argument
Sax: no graphics cards found at /usr/share/sax/init.pl line 158."

Hmmmm... reminds me of SuSE 0.99 ;)

--
Richard