Re: [opensuse] RE: Best fit Windows windowing between KDE vs Gnome
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 16:27:48 -0700
On Wednesday 28 May 2008 15:31, Sloan wrote:
Jerry Houston wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
We're also defaulting to multiple desktops again in GNOME for
11.0.

You know, that's the thing that I miss most the few times I have
to use windows :-)

No need to miss it at all. Log onto SourceForge and download
VirtuaWin. Linux-inspired multiple desktops, and open source at
that. What's not to like?

I HAVE to use Windows (I develop software for Windows). But I
wouldn't do it without VirtuaWin.

That's.. um... an interesting choice of career for a linux
enthusiast. Glutton for punishment?

I think relatively few professional (for our purposes, that's paid)
software developers have the luxury of just saying "no" to Windows, in
one way or another. There's no particular reason one must develop _for_
the Windows platform, but it's not realistic (again, for most of us) to
refuse to touch a Windows box. (Thank the various gods for Cygwin!)

Even though these days I do pretty much platform-neutral
(so-called "pure" Java) server-side software with a browser-based user
interface, I still have to be able to deal with clients and a partner
who are Windows weenies. And then there's those few pieces of software
that I use myself that are available only on Windows: Stuff ranging
from the application that uploads and analyzes my GPS cycling tracks to
MotionBased.com to Adobe Acrobat and others.

I would consider it an enormous luxury to never need to use Windows, but
that day is not yet in sight.

Joe

Randall Schulz