[opensuse] Re: SUSE, VBox and Gamer
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 03:31:48 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 27 May 2008 21:43:45 -0500, Hechler Family wrote:

James Bland wrote:
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Hechler Family
<dahechler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

M son is an avid gamer that will not give up his games - and - real
Windows (and doesn't like dual-boot)

Is there anyone doing this combo ?

For Windows games I've used WINE, Crossover Linux, or Cedega. Which
one I use depends on the game unfortunately, Luckily, I only have to
worry about getting my old RTS games working.

James

Wants "real" Windows

Then dual boot or use Linux in a VM. Otherwise, it seems that you're
describing the solution you want - real Windows, real Linux, no dual boot
= virtualization....if the virtualization can handle the requirements for
the games. IME, you end up with a virtualized video adapter and they
typically can't.

So that means either dual boot or virtualize Linux. Dual boot is not so
much of a hassle, though - it wouldn't hurt him to actually learn to deal
with it.

Jim