Re: [opensuse] 10.3 upgrade, mostly success, new questions
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 08:22:24 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Dominique Leuenberger <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 27.05.2008 at 14:48, Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1) Firefox doesn't do flash anymore, even though rpm reports that the flash
plugin is installed.

You installed a 64bit version of openSUSE. Flash plugin still does not exist as
64bit.
There are multiple solutions (listed in order of stability):
- change your firefox to be a 32bit application (change it using yast, select
the 32bit version). I actually thought that was standard on 10.3... but who
knows.
- Install nspluginwrapper. It will help you use 32bit plugins in a 64bit
firefox. Whereas it works mostly flawless, I encountered several moments when I
had to kill the flash plugin to get control over my browser back

2) Nothing seems to play any kind of video any more. I'm used to having a

All those video and audio things are pretty difficult to deal with nowadays.
Depending on what you're all after, I'd (List ordered to my preferences):
- Install VLC ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-suse.html )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Dominique,

I do have 64bit Firefox, but I don't see how to select a 32bit version from
YAST. All that's offered is an update to a slightly more recent version. Am I
looking in the wrong place perhaps.

I can fix this by downloading and installing manually, but it would be nice to
do to it the "right" way using YAST if I can. Can you point me in the right
direction easily?

Meanwhile, VLC seems to be working great.

Many thanks,
Simon