Re: [opensuse] 10.3 upgrade, mostly success, new questions
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:09:06 +0200
Hi,

On 27.05.2008 at 14:48, Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

Well, my upgrade to 10.3 was fantastically successful. Video is rock solid
and I can logout/shutdown without trouble (used to crash). The system seems
much faster than it was before, and wireless worked out of the box without
having to get that third party driver we used to need.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1) Firefox doesn't do flash anymore, even though rpm reports that the flash
plugin is installed.

You installed a 64bit version of openSUSE. Flash plugin still does not exist as
64bit.
There are multiple solutions (listed in order of stability):
- change your firefox to be a 32bit application (change it using yast, select
the 32bit version). I actually thought that was standard on 10.3... but who
knows.
- Install nspluginwrapper. It will help you use 32bit plugins in a 64bit
firefox. Whereas it works mostly flawless, I encountered several moments when I
had to kill the flash plugin to get control over my browser back

2) Nothing seems to play any kind of video any more. I'm used to having a
fairly limited set of codecs, but I thought I should have things like mpeg
out of the box. What's the deal with this these days? Where do I go for
extras, how do I turn it all on (also DVD, I was using xine/libcss before,
but xine seems to be gone).

All those video and audio things are pretty difficult to deal with nowadays.
Depending on what you're all after, I'd (List ordered to my preferences):
- Install VLC ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-suse.html )
- Add PackMan repitory. There you find also all the things like xine and
amarok, in good nice versions.

Have a look at http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats/10.3

Regards,

Dominique