[opensuse] 10.3 upgrade, mostly success, new questions
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 04:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

Well, my upgrade to 10.3 was fantastically successful. Video is rock solid and
I can logout/shutdown without trouble (used to crash). The system seems much
faster than it was before, and wireless worked out of the box without having to
get that third party driver we used to need.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1) Firefox doesn't do flash anymore, even though rpm reports that the flash
plugin is installed.

2) Nothing seems to play any kind of video any more. I'm used to having a
fairly limited set of codecs, but I thought I should have things like mpeg out
of the box. What's the deal with this these days? Where do I go for extras, how
do I turn it all on (also DVD, I was using xine/libcss before, but xine seems
to be gone).

BTW, I installed from the single Gnome CD (x86_64) on a dual core system. I let
it have wired networking, and it went online to get all the extras it needed. I
restored my home directory from the backup, and even that worked without any
apparent glitch, my desktop, my mail, everything seems to be back.

And just coz I feel like it, may I say again, this was an amazingly complete,
and trouble-free install. I'm _loving_ it. To all involved producing this, and
all who have helped me get it going, many, many, thanks!

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a
man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz