Re: [opensuse] feature 302909: vpn
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 02:07:29 +0200
On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 06:56 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this....

On the feature list I found (as a welcome surprise) this :
strongSwan IKE.v2 (replacing openSwan) (Feature No: 302909)
Category: Network, Security
Test Result: idle

This is a detail of the overall IPv6 story.
We need IKEv2, and the best option currently is to switch to
strongSwan.

As stated above, status is set to done.
However, on beta-3, not only the media still contains its predescessor.
But strongswan is not even included. So how can it be tested (as part of
the repo)

My angle is this, is not so much the "ipv6 story" allthough much
advocating it, but more, that strongswan does support the use of
smartcards/etokens right out of the box, thus enhancing the leven of
security.

It's not that very much work has been going on on stronfswan lately.
Last change in the factory tree is dated on april-23rd

I was (at least) exoecting to find both of them.
Or do i misinterpret the feature list....

I find in factory these packages:
inst-source/suse/i586/strongswan-4.2.1-9.i586.rpm
inst-source/suse/i586/strongswan-doc-4.2.1-9.i586.rpm

The factory tree should have been updated yesterday - 24th of *May*.

Could you doublecheck why you do not see it in factory?

Andreas

Reason: I used the DVD to install it on a system that is not connected
to the Net.
This evening/night/morning just found out, that it's only on the online
inst-source. Added automatically IF you are connected. (I hope that this
will not be the case for the rc's...)

BTW, is it worthwile to mention that even for text-mode installation one
needs 650MB? I noticed on my P3 with 512MB it uses an additional 150MB
swap during installation.

otoh, B3 runs nice with KDE4 on a 512MB machine.

hw