Re: [opensuse] Anybody know how to play media from samba shares
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 13:17:36 +0200
Nico Sabbi wrote:
On Monday 26 May 2008 10:11:27 Dave Plater wrote:
Hi, can anybody tell me how to play media from a windows share
without having to transfer it to a local directory or how to mount
a samba share on a local directory?
Thanks in advance,
Dave P

mplayer smb://username:password@url

Hi, thanks for reply. It fails with the following message:-
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
"/home/davepl/.smb/smb.conf":
No such file or directory
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
"/home/davepl/.smb/smb.conf.append":
No such file or directory
I looked and I haven't got a .smb directory even. I've got every samba/cifs package installed AFAIK and the shares work fine. I can enqueue in xmms, which transfers to a kde temp directory but starts asking for authorization for almost every file. I'm going to rephrase my message to how can I mount samba shares on a local directory. I've tried various mount.cifs combinations but I can't get it right.
Thanks
Dave P