Re: [opensuse] Please put DVDs on FTP
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 22:19:18 -0500
On Sunday 04 May 2008 09:00:17 pm Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Sunday 2008-05-04 at 20:38 -0400, Larry Stotler wrote:
Maybe you misunderstood. I meant I try to use a mirror when I do an
FTP transfer. When you get right down to it, bittorrent is ok for
popular files, but anything that gets old has less and less people
seeding. I can go right now to a SuSE mirror and probably pull the
v10.0(or 10.1 if the 10.0 ones are pulled because of age)isos at full
speed. Very doubtful that anyone is still seeding them. While
torrents help balance the load across many connections, popularity is
the biggest problem. Maybe if you could get all the FTP mirrors to
also share the files via torrent, that would improve things.

In your last sentence above you hit the nail: the big servers have to be
an important part of the torrent swarm. If nobody else is seeding, the
download would at least go as fast as the same server serving ftp, and
even faster if people downloading it also seeds. But it is very important
that at the nucleus are the big servers feeding it to everybody wanting
it.

Most broadband connections have speed ratio 4:1 for download vs.upload. Even
if torrent users would disconnect right after they receive complete file, 25%
more users will be served without any further investment on a server side.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.