Re: [opensuse] Please put DVDs on FTP
  • From: "Larry Stotler" <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 20:38:33 -0400
On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When you're trying to download, bittorrent enforces downloading
penalties for less-than-enthusiastic uploading, and very severe
ones for not seeding at all.

I realize that and I do try to seed. My share ratios are generally
over my download. However, it's hard to share a file when you first
start downloading it.

Which further fractions the torrent :-(

Maybe you misunderstood. I meant I try to use a mirror when I do an
FTP transfer. When you get right down to it, bittorrent is ok for
popular files, but anything that gets old has less and less people
seeding. I can go right now to a SuSE mirror and probably pull the
v10.0(or 10.1 if the 10.0 ones are pulled because of age)isos at full
speed. Very doubtful that anyone is still seeding them. While
torrents help balance the load across many connections, popularity is
the biggest problem. Maybe if you could get all the FTP mirrors to
also share the files via torrent, that would improve things.

If you think they're interfering with your bittorrent feeds,
then send them legal notice that they're in breach of contract
and to stop that shit, because that's not in your service contract.

I would if it was MY account, but it's my landlords(she got a better
deal with having a home phone, which I haven't had in 11 years, so I
share her connection and pay her for it). So, I can't complain, and
she won't because she doesn't understand it. Plus, Bittorrent
interferes with my roomate's World of Warcraft sessions, so I have to
throttle it down while it's running. In a perfect world, I would have
my own high speed cable account like I had a few years ago, but the
economy is not the greatest now....