Re: [opensuse] Please put DVDs on FTP
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 17:08:22 -0400
Larry Stotler wrote:
On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't know what you two are complaining about.
The full install DVD's ARE available via FTP/HTTP.

Yes, they are available from mirrors, but there were no links to the
mirrors on the main site. They've only just changed it to allow you
to download the dvds by http. Before it was bittorrent only. I have
never gotten the max download speed that FTP will give me using
bittorrent. When I downloaded beta2 from the mirror provided in this
thread I got 350+ the whole time. Never ever gotten anywhere near
that by bittorrent.

It all depends on how many other people are on the torrent
at the moment.

When downloading the 10.3 DVD's, the torrent was substantially
faster than the FTP (and more importantly, if the download
crash, bittorrent software recovers all of the data downloaded,
whereas FTP/HTTP doesn't recognize what has already come in.

The big problem with light/moderately downloaded material
is that a few people using FTP seriously detracts from the
speed of the torrent...which pushes more people to the
FTP...vicious circle, and soon you have a bunch of people
hitting the FTP at not-too-great speeds, who, if they were
ALL on the torrent, would be getting great speeds AND the
suse server wouldn't be getting beat up.

It's too bad we can't make a protocol that forcibly transfers
a large number of downloaders from FTP to the torrent.